Residency for Tuition Purposes

Initial residency classification for tuition purposes is determined by information you provide when you apply for admission. If you are living or attending school outside Nebraska, if you recently moved to Nebraska, or if you graduated from high school outside the State of Nebraska, you may be initially classified as a non-resident for tuition purposes. It is the student’s responsibility to provide any additional information that may be required to make an accurate residency determination.

In 2006, the Nebraska state legislature passed a law granting resident tuition to students who do not hold official U.S. Status and meet certain criteria. Students must meet the following qualifications: (1) graduated from a Nebraska high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in Nebraska, (2) resided in Nebraska with a parent, guardian, or conservator for a least 3 years prior to the graduation date and (3) provide an affidavit stating that he or she will file an application to become a permanent resident at the earliest opportunity he or she is eligible to do so. For more information about the residency policy or the affidavit, see the “Residency Policy” section or contact the UNO Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

UNO participates with some reduced tuition programs based on the state and/or county the student is from (Midwest Student Exchange Program and the Metropolitan Advantage Program). Students must meet UNO’s admission requirements and, for the MSEP program, meet minimum academic eligibility requirements. For more information on requirements on these programs, see the “Residency Policy” section or contact the UNO Office of Undergraduate Admissions.