Transfer Applicants

To be eligible for admission, transfer students must be in good standing at the college or university last attended.

Students presenting fewer than 12 semester hours of transferable course work from a regionally accredited collegiate institution following high school graduation will be required to meet the freshman admission requirements for assured admission or under any ABR category that applies.

A transfer student who has successfully completed 12 or more transferable semester hours from a regionally accredited collegiate institution following high school graduation who is in good standing at their previous institution(s) will be expected to have met the freshman core course requirements, either in high school or in their previous post secondary studies, unless exempted per individual review. Those who do not fully meet these requirements may still qualify for admission to the university under Admission by Review on the basis of special merit. The Admissions Office will determine how deficiencies in the prior record of these students will be made up. All applicants must meet the admissions requirements as set by the college to which they apply.

Transfer students from UNL and UNK who were admitted with deficiencies to UNL or UNK under the Fall 1997 admission standards will be required to complete their deficiencies within the first 30 hours of their enrollment in the University of Nebraska system.

Any student who has been placed on academic dismissal or suspension from any college or university within the last year, regardless of the student’s eligibility to return to the prior institution, will be denied admission. The student would be eligible to reapply for admission to UNO after one full year following the end of the last term in which the student was suspended.

Many of UNO’s undergraduate colleges have a minimum GPA requirement of 2.00 or above and additional admission requirements. See “Admissions Requirements for Selected Undergraduate Colleges” on page 9.

Documents required:

  1. Undergraduate application for admission
  2. Application Fee of $45.00 (non-refundable)
  3. Official college transcript(s) must be sent directly to the UNO Office of Admissions from the Registrar’s Office of each previous college or university attended regardless of whether credit was earned. Hand-carried or student-submitted transcripts are not acceptable. If you are currently enrolled in college courses, please request that a final official transcript be sent to the Office of Admissions as soon as possible after you have completed your course work. If the records are not in English, an official translation must be provided by the student.
  4. All previous college course work attempted or completed must be reported on the application regardless of whether credit was earned. Transfer students may not choose to disregard prior postsecondary course work previously attempted. This applies to studies completed at any accredited or unaccredited institution, course work that was withdrawn, failed or incomplete. Failure to provide this information will be considered fraudulent and may result in withdrawal of admission or dismissal from the university.
  5. Transfer students must be graduates of a regionally accredited (North Central or equivalent) high school or have completed the equivalent training (GED). An Associate of Arts (AA) degree or Associate of Science (AS) degree from a community college in Nebraska will satisfy the proof of high school graduation requirement.
  6. An official high school transcript is required for all transfer students to review the high school academic record and verification of high school graduation. If transcript does not include proof of graduation, documentation of equivalent training (GED scores) will be required.
  7. Students placed on academic suspension or dismissed from any institution within the last calendar year will be denied admission regardless of the student’s eligibility to return to the prior institution. Any student providing a transcript indicating suspension or dismissal within the last year will be disenrolled from classes and any tuition paid to date for the semester would be refunded.
  8. Transcripts sent to the UNO Office of Admissions for students who do not enroll will be retained one year. If the student applies for admission beyond that, new transcripts would need to be provided for admission consideration.
  9. Students who are granted provisional admission must submit all documents required for admission within the first eight weeks of the first term enrollment. Failure to do so will result in an enrollment hold blocking further registration. Only one term of provisional admission/enrollment is allowed. No extensions or waivers of the enrollment hold will be granted. It is the student’s responsibility to provide all credentials required for admission.
  10. Several UNO colleges have minimum GPA and additional requirements. Failure to meet minimum requirements for a program may result in admission delays. To avoid delays, select a college/major program for which all requirements have been met.
  11. If you have previously attended or are currently attending UNK, UNL or UNMC, please refer to the “Nebraska System Transferring Change of Campus Students” section.
  12. Nebraska Community College Students: Nebraska Community College students who want to continue their education can take advantage of a new University of Nebraska program, “On Course,” to gain guaranteed admission to the university upon completion of their associate’s degree. Students successfully completing the On Course transfer program and providing required admission documents will be accepted for admission. On Course is a collaborative agreement between the Nebraska Community Colleges and the University of Nebraska. On Course is a program for the Nebraska community college student, who, upon completion of an associate of arts or associate of science degree and successfully meeting the minimum requirements of the On Course program, would be eligible for admission to UNK, UNO or UNL. Complete information regarding the requirements for the On-Course program is available at the University of Nebraska Web site:

Awarding of Credits for Advanced Standing

  • Credits submitted only on official transcripts from other colleges or universities will be evaluated for admission to an undergraduate college by the Office of Admissions. Transcripts will become a part of the student’s permanent record maintained in the Office of the Registrar. The dean of the UNO College will determine the manner in which transfer credits will apply toward degree requirements.
  • In general, credits and grades earned at other University of Nebraska campuses will be accepted, computed into the student’s grade point average, and will become a part of the permanent record from which official transcripts will be made.
  • Only courses with a grade of “C-” or better will be accepted for transfer from accredited two- and four-year colleges and universities. The College of Education and Human Sciences will accept a grade of “D” (including “D-”) from University of Nebraska system schools, excluding courses required by the major department.
  • Sixty-four semester credit hours is the maximum allowed for transfer to most undergraduate UNO colleges from regionally accredited two-year colleges. The College of Engineering and the College of Education and Human Sciences will allow a maximum of 66 semester hours of credit.
  • Credits to be transferred with a grade of “C-” or better from provisionally accredited colleges will be placed in escrow until such time as 30 semester hours have been successfully completed at UNO.
  • Students wishing to transfer credits from recognized institutions outside the United States may need to provide a course syllabus and catalog for evaluation of transfer credits.