University Division provides a setting in which students who are in the process of deciding upon an academic major or degree college have the opportunity to enroll in an exploratory program of studies. Students are encouraged and counseled to choose from the broad range of basic courses offered in all of the colleges of the university. Each University Division student is assigned an academic adviser from the professional staff of University Division and is expected to meet with the adviser at least twice each semester.
- All University Division students are expected to follow an exploratory program of studies that will assist them in fulfilling the general education requirements of the degree-granting colleges of the university.
- All students entering University Division for the first time are strongly encouraged to enroll in and successfully complete a four-credit hour First Year Experience (FYE) course. Taught within the context of academic general education courses, these courses are designed to help students establish effective college level study habits, engage in self and career exploration processes, and become knowledgeable about University programs, resources and colleges.
- University Division students are required to have taken the English Placement/Proficiency Exam (EPPE) and have math placement by no later than the end of their first semester of enrollment. Math placement is determined by the student’s ACT score. Students who do not have an ACT score must take the Math Placement Exam (MPE). Students are strongly encouraged to have completed the appropriate English and/or mathematics course(s) by no later than the end of their initial 27 credit hours of enrollment at the university.
- University Division students are required to repeat general education courses of freshman level should they receive a grade of “D” or below in courses in which a degree college requires all of its students to obtain a “C-” or better grade as a minimum for graduation.
Procedures for Transferring from University Division:
University Division students who have made their decision concerning an academic major and degree college should transfer to that college as expeditiously as possible.
- University Division students are required to transfer to the degree-granting college of their choice by no later than the end of the semester in which 36 credit hours are earned. Exceptions to this must be approved in writing by the Director of University Division.
- A student may not be admitted to, readmitted to or enrolled as a student in University Division after he/she has earned a total of 36 credit hours of college course work.
Procedures for Transferring to University Division:
Students from UNO colleges desiring to transfer into University Division must meet the following criteria:
- Have a cumulative grade point average of no less than 1.75.
- Have earned no more than 36 credit hours.
- Obtain the approval of the Director of University Division.