University General Education Requirements for the BSBI Degree (41 hours)
Fundamental Academic Skills (15 hours)
- English & Writing (9 hours) All freshmen must take the English Diagnostic Test. Courses such as English 1050, 1090, and 1100 and orientation courses in other colleges or divisions may not be counted as part of the minimum of 131 credit hours in the degree program. For students testing into ENGL 1150, the nine-hour requirement is satisfied by completing ENGL 1150, ENGL 1160, and CIST 3000. For students testing into ENGL 1160 on or after 25 August 2008, the nine-hour requirement is satisfied by completing ENGL 1160, CIST 3000 and applying for retroactive credits for ENGL 1150. For students testing proficient on the English Diagnostic Test on or after 25 August 2008, the nine-hour requirement is satisfied by applying for retroactive credits for ENGL 1150 and ENGL 1160 and completing three hours of CIST 3000.
- Public Speaking (3 hours) which can be fulfilled by SPCH 1110 or 2120 Mathematics (MATH 1310 – Intermediate Algebra 3 hours [May be able to test out]) Distribution Requirements (18 & 8 hours of Natural Science that is listed in the major area)
- (*)Natural & Physical Sciences
- (**)Humanities/ Fine Arts (9 hours from at least two different disciplines); and
- (**)Social & Behavioral Sciences (9 hours from at least two different disciplines) Diversity (6 hours may be taken in the distribution requirement)
- U. S. Diversity (**)
- Global Diversity (**)
(*) BIOI majors taking courses in Chemistry and/or Biology maybe able to satisfy some major course requirements. Students are encouraged to consult an advisor.
(**)Students may apply these hours to satisfy humanities, social sciences and cultural diversity requirements (for selected courses).
Bioinformatics Requirements (19 credit hours)
Biology Requirements (16 credit hours)
Chemistry Requirements (17 credit hours)
College of ISandT Requirements (27 credit hours)
Mathematics Requirements (13 credit hours)