Application for Degrees
All applications for degree must be filed via the Web at www.ses.unomaha.edu/registrar/graduate.html by following the guidelines listed.
All requirements for graduation must be completed and certification by the appropriate college must be on file in the Office of the Registrar no later than the close of business on the fifteenth working day following the last day of finals for a particular semester. This includes the satisfaction of all grades of Incomplete.
Attendance at Commencement
Academic regalia is required for degree candidates to participate in the ceremony. Students not wearing academic regalia will not be permitted to participate in the ceremony.
Candidacy for a Second Baccalaureate Degree
A student who has met the requirements for a baccalaureate degree at the University of Nebraska at Omaha must complete a minimum of 30 additional semester hours at the University for a different (second) degree. A plan of study for the additional hours, approved by the department head primarily concerned, must be filed in the Office of the Dean of the College offering the degree by the completion of the fifteenth additional hour. Students must consult an academic adviser prior to starting this program. Two baccalaureate degrees may be awarded simultaneously when the student becomes eligible to receive them.
Outstanding Debts and Fees Owed to the University
Diplomas or official transcripts will not be released for students who have outstanding debts or fees owed to the University.
Degrees with Honors
The baccalaureate degrees with honors are awarded as follows:
- To all graduates whose scholastic average for their entire university career and at UNO is 3.51 or above, but below 3.63, the degree cum laude.
- To all graduates whose scholastic average for their entire university career and at UNO is 3.63 or above, but below 3.87, the degree magna cum laude.
- To all graduates whose scholastic average for their entire university career and at UNO is 3.87 or above, the degree summa cum laude.
To qualify for honors, a student must have earned at least 60 semester hours within the University of Nebraska system, 30 hours of which must be completed at the University of Nebraska at Omaha and in which letter grades of “A,” “B,” “C,” or “D” are received. Grades awarded in all courses taken at all colleges and universities attended are included in computing the Grade Point Average (GPA) for determining eligibility for honors. It should be noted that the GPA included in the student grade reports issued by the Registrar’s Office reflects only courses taken at UNO, UNL, UNMC and UNK.
Baccalaureate Degrees with Honors Extra Muros
These degrees are awarded to transfer students who have not completed the required 60 semester hours of credit within the University of Nebraska system required for cum laude, magna cum laude or summa cum laude honors.
To be eligible for Honors Extra Muros the transfer students must meet the following standards and requirements:
- They must:
- Have a scholastic average for their entire university career of 3.51 or above, but below 3.63, to receive degree cum laude.
- Have a scholastic average for their entire university career of 3.63 or above, but below 3.87, to receive degree magna cum laude.
- Have a scholastic average for their entire university career of 3.87 or above, to receive degree summa cum laude.
- Provided that they:
- Have a minimum of 24 graded hours from the University of Nebraska at Omaha, and
- Have a minimum total of 77 hours of graded course credit.