Bachelor of Fine Arts in Studio Art
The Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Studio Art provides an extensive, well-rounded, performance-oriented background which prepares students for a professional life in fine arts and post graduate study. The degree requires a minimum of 120 credit hours of course work.
To obtain the BFA, students complete requirements for the Bachelor of Arts in Studio Art, achieve candidacy in the BFA program, and complete the following:
Art History additional requirement (3 hrs.)
Selected from elective courses.
BFA Sequence (10-12 hrs.)
|ART 4320||BFA Independent Study I||
|ART 4330||BFA Independent Study II||
|ART 4340||BFA Independent Study III||
|ART 4420||BFA Thesis||
|ART 4920||Art in Theory and in Practice since 1900||
|Total Credit Hours:||10-12
To achieve candidacy into the BFA program, students must start by meeting the following requirements:
Must have made significant progress toward completion of University General Education courses including completion of English, Math and Oral Communication requirements.
Complete Core I and II.
Have a minimum 3.0 GPA in the major.
Complete three courses in area of concentration. Can apply before the three concentration courses are completed, but cannot be admitted until all three are complete.
After meeting these requirements students seeking candidacy must prepare the following:
1. Provide current DegreeWorks transcript copy.
2. Provide Artist Statement
3. Submit Portfolio (one or more of the following).
a. 10 digital images
c. Time-based and digital art
d. Representative samples of actual relevant work, e.g. drawings, paintings, photographs, book art examples, prints, etc.
4. Obtain signature of faculty member agreeing to be Advisor.
5. Completed application must be received by the Department of Art & Art History Office before the end of the sixth week of the Fall or Spring semester for consideration of the applicant’s admission to the BFA program beginning in the following semester.
6. Application reviewed and then accepted or rejected by committee of Department faculty – all full-time faculty eligible to participate in the review. Two-thirds favorable vote from faculty participating in the review required for acceptance into the BFA program.