Business for Bioscientists Certificate
College of Business Administration; Department of Biology, College of Arts and Sciences
Over the past 30 years, the largest area of job growth for biomedical Ph.D.’s has been in the private sector with positions in biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, and other industries. Many of these jobs have business elements. However, the traditional training of a biomedical Ph.D. focuses on research and has no business training. This certificate program provides a basic understanding of business principles to biomedical Ph.D. students. While UNMC Ph.D. students receive extensive training in research methods and the principles of biology and medicine, they receive no formal training in business fundamentals. However, a significant portion of biomedical Ph.D. students obtain employment in pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and other industries. For students with these career goals, formal training in business would markedly enhance their career options and competitiveness for these industry positions.
With a certificate program, it is possible for students to obtain a basic understanding of business principles that is documented by a certificate program. This certificate will make their application for a variety of job positions more competitive and make them more successful in their careers.
Program Contact Information:
Ms. Lex Kaczmarek, Director
Mammel Hall (MH) 300
6708 Pine Street
- Fall: July 1
- Spring: November 1
- Summer: NA
- Online Application
- One official copy of transcripts for ALL institutions previously attended
- Application Fee
- If English is not the language of nurture, official test scores from the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE exam are required
- 500 on the written TOEFL
- 173 on the computer-based TOEFL
- 61 on the internet-based TOEFL
- 5.5 on the IELTS
- 44 on the PTE
- Minimum GPA of at least 3.0 in undergraduate courses related to proposed major
- All applicants must have earned a minimum Junior/Senior GPA of 2.85.
- International applicants who do not have a baccalaureate or equivalent degree from an English-speaking institution of higher education in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, English-speaking Africa, Australia, Ireland or New Zealand are required to submit TOEFL scores. The minimum TOEFL score required for this certificate program is 550 for the paper test or 213 for the computer-based test or 79 for the internet-based test; or a 6.5 on the IELTS.
- Entrance Exam
- Official GMAT score: minimum GMAT score of 500 with a minimum 20th percentile for both the verbal and quantitative portions, or 293 on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) (minimum 20th percentile for both verbal and quantitative sections).
- Include employment and educational history
Cert-BSBS Degree Requirements
Cert-BSBS Required Courses (15 hours):
Foundation Courses (6 hours):
|BSAD 8110||Accounting and Financial Fundamentals||
|BSAD 8180||Analytical Foundations of Economics||
Required Courses (6 hours):
Elective Courses (3 hours): select one course from the list below
Cert-BSBS Exit Requirements (3 hours)
|BSAD 8910||Special Topics in Business||
1 - 3 credits
All other classes in the program must have been completed prior to enrolling in this course.