Public Management Certificate
School of Public Administration, College of Public Affairs & Community Service
The purpose of the Certificate in Public Management is to allow working professionals with careers in the public sector or graduate students in a related field of study (such as political science or city and regional planning) to expand their educational background and to enhance their knowledge in the area of public management. The graduate certificate is designed to extend students' understanding of theory and practice in the field of public management.
Program Contact Information:
Dr. Carol Ebdon, Graduate Program Chair (GPC)
College of Public Affairs & Community Service (CB) 111B
Meagan VanGelder, Coordinator
College of Public Affairs & Community Service (CB) 111
- Fall: June 1
- Spring: October 1
- Summer: NA
- Online Application
- One official copy of transcripts for ALL institutions previously attended
- Application Fee
- If English is not the language of nurture, official test scores from the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE exam are required
- 500 on the written TOEFL
- 173 on the computer-based TOEFL
- 61 on the internet-based TOEFL
- 5.5 on the IELTS
- 44 on the PTE
- Minimum GPA of at least 3.0 in undergraduate courses related to proposed major
- Students must have 3 years of work experience in the public sector.
- The general prerequisite for admission to the Graduate Certificate in Public Management program is a four-year bachelors' degree with a minimum of a 3.0 GPA of the junior-senior year (last 50-60 credit hours).
- Students who plan to attend the program from foreign countries where English is not their native language may be granted provisional or unclassified admission subject to the following conditions:
- TOEFL exam with a score of 550 (or 213 on the computer-based TOEFL or 79 on the Internet-based TOEFL) or better, or IELTS with a score of 6.5 or better, or Pearson with a score of 59 or better.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- 2-4 pages double spaced, answering the following questions:
- Why are you pursuing the certificate?
- What are your goals?
Cert-PUBM Degree Requirements
Cert-PUBM Required Courses (12 hours):
|PA 8050||Public Administration and Democracy||
|PA 8410||Public Human Resource Management||
|PA 8090||Organization Theory and Behavior||
|PA 8480/AVN 8480||Seminar in Public Financial Administration||
|PA 8400||Public Budgeting||
Other electives relevant to students’ occupation or interests will be considered on a case by case basis
Cert-PUBM Elective Course (3 hours; select one course from below):
|PA 8110||Managing Information in the Public Sector||
|PA 8420||Public Works Management||
|PA 8470||Administrative Ethics and Leadership||
|PA 8436||Municipal Administration||
Total Credit Hours: 15
Cert-PUBM-Other Program-Related Information:
The certificate in Public Management can be obtained online.