The Federal Stafford Loan Program enables eligible students to borrow funds directly from the U.S. Department of Education to help pay the expenses of their University education. Students with financial need are eligible for a Subsidized Stafford Loan. Students without financial “need” are eligible for an Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Maximum subsidized Stafford Loan amounts yearly are $3,500 for freshmen, $4,500 for sophomores, $5,500 for juniors, seniors and fifth-year undergraduates students. Submission of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid is required. For more information on Federal Stafford Loans, please visit

Federal Perkins Loan

This is a low-interest loan available primarily to full-time students, who demonstrate need. Interest accrual and loan repayment begin nine months after graduation. Annual awards range from $1,000 to $2,500.


The Federal PLUS program provides loan assistance to parents of dependent undergraduate and graduate students. The Federal PLUS interest rate varies from year to year. PLUS loan applications and information are available at

Short-Term Loan Funds

Short-term loan assistance is made available by such donors as the faculty and staff of UNO, the Alumni Association, Faye L. Hickey, Ben Garman, Alpha Kappa Delta, Sigma Gamma Rho, Phi Delta Gamma, UNO Parents Association and Rotary International. Application and eligibility information may be obtained from the Office of Financial Support and Scholarships. Typical loan amounts range from $50-$300 and repayment must be made within 30 days or from the first available disbursement of financial aid, whichever comes first.

Return of Title IV Funds Policy

The Higher Education Amendments of 1998 established new provisions which may require a certain percentage of Federal financial aid (Title IV funds) to be returned to the Department of Education or lender when a student completely withdraws from all classes. Federal funds that may have to be returned, in order of their required return are: Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal PLUS Loan, Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG, Federal Iraq Afghanistan Service Grant and Federal TEACH Grant.

When a student officially, or unofficially withdraws (i.e. quits attending class), during the first 60 percent of the semester, and has received or was eligible to receive federal Title IV funds, the Office of Financial Support and Scholarships is required to perform a Return of Title IV funds calculation as follows:

•  Step One: Determine how much Title IV aid was earned by the student.  This is calculated by dividing the number of days a student attended by the total number of days in the semester (percent of aid earned), and then multiplying that percentage by the total amount of Title IV aid disbursed, or could have been disbursed.

•  Step Two: Determine the Title IV aid to be disbursed to student.  If the student received less Title IV aid than earned from step one, a post-withdrawal disbursement will be made. This situation may occur in a case where federal aid was approved, or a loan certified, but not yet disbursed before the student withdrew.

•   Step Three: Determine the amount of unearned Title IV aid that must be returned by UNO.  UNO must return the lessor of the amount of Title IV aid which the student does not earn, or the amount of institutional charges the student incurred for the semester multiplied by the percentage of Title IV aid not earned. Title IV funds that have to be returned by the school will result in a university obligation to the student. The student will receive a bill from the Cashiering/Student Accounts Office.

•  Step Four: Determine the amount of unearned Title IV aid to be returned by student.  Any federal grant funds that are calculated to be returned by the student will be returned by the school so a federal overpayment situation does not result and will be included in the amount billed in step three. Any loan funds required to be returned by the student would be returned in accordance with the terms of the promissory note.


An aid recipient should contact the Office of Financial Support and Scholarships prior to withdrawal from the University. Upon request, the Office of Financial Support and Scholarships will provide written examples of various return of funds calculations.

For more information…

Office of Financial Support and Scholarships

Eppley Administration Building, Room 103

Omaha, NE, 68182