Permits and Authorizations

Many courses require specific prerequisites to be met and/or require permission from the department prior to registration. Course prerequisites are automatically met based on previous course work you have performed while at UNO or through transfer credit as determined by your adviser. If the registration system indicates the course for which you wish to register requires prerequisites or is restricted, you must contact your academic adviser or your college advising office. If it is determined you may register for the course in question, a permit or authorization will be entered by your academic adviser or the department.

Course prerequisites can be found in the online catalog at by logging into MavLINK, selecting Search for Classes Listings and clicking on the title of the course selected.

A permit is entered via MavLINK to your schedule, and will override any prerequisite such as a course, permission needed or GPA requirement. A permit is issued via MavLINK to your schedule if you need to override a prerequisite, a time conflict or a closed course. Permits will also override co-requisites, such as courses that require both a lecture and lab, allowing you to register for only one.

This does not register you for the course! It only means you are able to proceed with registration for that course. Once the correct permit or authorization is entered on the system, you must register for the course via MavLINK.

Permits and authorizations are course section and term specific. You must ensure the permit or authorization is issued for the exact course you want. You will not be able to register for a different section of the same course. For example, if a permit or authorization is issued for ENGL-1160-003, you will not be able to register for ENGL-1160-006.

Permits and authorizations not used before the end of the 100 percent refund period will be deleted.