The Department of Chemistry, which is approved by the American Chemical Society (ACS), offers both Bachelor of Science (B.S.) and Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degrees. Students can choose among three B.S. degree options.  The B.S. degree in chemistry is designed for majors planning to be industrial or government chemists, planning to pursue a graduate degree in chemistry or biochemistry, or considering professional degrees in fields such as medicine. The B.S. degree with Concentration in Medicinal Chemistry is designed for students interested in health fields, either graduate programs in life sciences or professional study such as pharmacy or medicine. The B.S. degree with Concentration in Education is designed for students planning to teach high school chemistry or plan to teach at a more advanced level and want to develop their teaching skills as part of their undergraduate education.  The B.A. degree is appropriate for chemical technologists and pre-professional students, particularly fields other than the health sciences.


Degrees Offered

Bachelor of Science in chemistry

Bachelor of Arts in chemistry


Minors Offered

Chemistry minor

Contact Information 

Durham Science Center, Room 337





Other information

Students working toward a degree in chemistry or a chemistry minor must earn a grade of “C-“ or better in all courses used to fulfill chemistry major or minor requirements.  A GPA of 2.0 or higher in chemistry and cognate courses is required to graduate with a chemistry major or minor.


The department highly encourages students to engage in undergraduate research with a faculty mentor.  Students can start undergraduate research with CHEM 2950 or CHEM 4950 depending on their background and the needs of their faculty supervisor.


To make room for students making regular academic progress, those students who have been enrolled in a course three or more times: 1) will not be allowed to enroll prior to the first week of classes; and 2) will need permission of the instructor to enroll.


High school students who have successfully completed advanced high school chemistry courses (AP and/or IB) and are considering a modified course of study should consult with the department.  

Student Groups

The Department of Chemistry has an active student led Chemistry Club.  For more information visit