To receive an “incomplete,” students must contact their professor prior to the end of the semester, request a grade of incomplete, and make arrangements to complete the work. The rules which govern the issuance of the incomplete are as follows:
1. The grade “I” is used by an instructor at the end of a semester or summer session to designate incomplete work in a course. It is given when a student, due to circumstances such as illness, military service, hardship or death in the immediate family, is unable to complete the requirements of the course in the term in which the student is registered for credit. Incompletes will only be given if the student has already substantially completed the major requirements of the course.
2. Each instructor will judge each situation. The instructor will also indicate by a departmental record, with a copy to the student, how the incomplete is to be removed, and if the instructor is at the University at the time of removal, supervise the makeup work and report the permanent grade.
3. In the event the instructor is not available at the time of the student’s application for removal of an incomplete, the department chairperson will supervise the removal of the incomplete and turn in the permanent grade for the student.
4. A student shall have no longer than the end of the next regular semester following receipt of the “I” to remove the incomplete. After that time, the “I” will automatically become a “W,” or such other grade specified by the instructor depending on the amount and quality of the course work previously completed. Exceptions to this rule will be permitted if initiated by the student and approved by the instructor, department chairperson and dean. Exceptions to this rule will be made only in response to circumstances over which the student has no control, and these must be detailed.
5. In registering for courses, students receiving one or more “I” grades from the previous semester should take into account the time needed to complete the required work and plan their schedules accordingly.