Probation and Suspension

Academic Probation

A student whose cumulative grade point average is below 2.0 after having attempted six or more semester hours will be placed on probation. Probationary status will remain in effect as long as the student’s cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) remains below 2.0. No student will be allowed to enroll for any course on a pass/fail or Credit/No Credit basis while on probation. Probation constitutes a period of formal warning that the student is doing unsatisfactory work.

The student is encouraged to use every opportunity during time on probation to seek counsel and guidance from various university agencies which have been established to offer assistance in study and academic planning. For information on such services, the student should consult with his or her academic advisor or counselor.

Academic Suspension

Students will only be suspended at the end of the spring term. This rule applies to all UNO colleges, including the Academic and Career Development Center and all University of Nebraska-Lincoln based programs in the Colleges of Architecture, Agriculture, and Engineering.

Students who are on probation will be suspended at the end of the spring semester when their semester grade point average is lower than 2.0 and the cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) falls below the following standards:

Hours Attempted

Cumulative GPA


No Suspension



46 or more


Suspensions under these conditions will be automatic. Academic suspension will be for a minimum period of one year.

Students will be notified by their primary academic college of their suspension and given instructions on how to appeal, should they choose to do so, and any appropriate deadlines associated with an appeal.

Appeals properly filed shall delay implementation of the suspension until the appropriate appeals committee has acted. However, if the appeal is denied the student shall be dis-enrolled and tuition shall be refunded.

Reinstatement Following Suspension

Applications for reinstatement of students on academic suspension from the University of Nebraska at Omaha shall be obtained from the college from which the student was suspended and submitted to the Office of the University Registrar. This application must be submitted at least one month prior to the official beginning of the semester or term for which the student is applying (refer to academic calendar for specific dates).