As an alternative to the departmental major, the Interdisciplinary Studies program enables the student whose interest follow area or topics lines to undertake an interdisciplinary, integrated program of studies. Each student’s Interdisciplinary major is structured to fit their particular interest area. Students interested in the program should contact a faculty member or the Assistant Dean of the College.
Admission to the program requires approval of the Dean of the College, and should be started as early as possible, but no later than the first semester of the junior year. The Dean will appoint a faculty advisor from the core department who will compose the Interdisciplinary major and the student’s program in consultation with the student and in coordination with participating departments. The student’s program is then approved by the Dean of the College, and any necessary changes must be approved by the faculty advisor and the Dean.
All requirements of the applicable College of Arts and Sciences degree must be met except the departmental major; the Interdisciplinary major taking its place. In addition, the following requirements must be met:
- The student must write a paragraph or more about the rationale for the major.
- Either a BA or BS degree may be obtained. The BS need not include a foreign language. If no language is included, however, there must be an alternative agreed upon by the advisor and the Dean.
- The major must have a minimum of 50 semester hours (may include work previously completed)and must include the following:
a. 15 semester hours must be in core area
b. 18 semester hours out of the 50 must be at the 300 or 400 level
c. 3-6 semester hours of independent study are required for the purpose of integrating the major
d. Additional course work outside of the College of Arts and Sciences may be incorporated into the major
- The student must list the courses to be taken.
- The advisor must sign the list of courses, indicating his/her approval.
- The Dean’s approval then must be obtained. If approved, the list of courses becomes the students major.