College of Education


The College of Education’s philosophy and purpose are grounded in the central principles identified by the faculty for preparing graduates who are dedicated practitioners, reflective scholars, and responsible citizens.  The outcomes/goals related to the principles focus on the knowledge, skills, and disposition espoused by the faculty and are built on the fundamental belief that all children can learn.  The full text of the conceptual framework may be found at


Please note the information contained in this portion of the catalog is general information for the College of Education.  For more specific details please consult information specific to your intended department.

Accreditation information

The following programs in the College of Education are accredited by:

Athletic Training Education

Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training

Educator Preparation

Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (Successor to NCATE) Nebraska Department of Education

Library Science/School Librarian  

American Library Association/American Association of School Librarians


Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs

Speech-Language Pathology

Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology of the American Speech Language Hearing Association 

All preparation programs within the college adhere to the national standards promulgated by their respective professional organizations. 


               Program Contact Information:

                College of Education

                Roskens Hall

                6001 Dodge Street

                Omaha, NE  68182

                Office of Student Services - 402-554-2717

                Dean’s Office – 402-554-2719

                Teacher Certification – 402-554-2718

                Health, Physical Education, and Recreation – 402-554-2670

                Special Education and Communication Disorders – 402-554-3355

                Teacher Education – 402-554-3666

Program Website:

General Information

Overview of degree programs

The College of Education is comprised of five academic units; the Departments of Counseling; Educational Leadership; Special Education and Communication Disorders; Teacher Education; and the School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation.  Through its departments and school, the college seeks to prepare individuals for careers in a variety of fields including teaching, educational administration, counseling, public health, athletic training, exercise science, recreation and leisure studies, library science, special education, sign language interpreting, and speech-language pathology.  The college offers programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels.  This catalog describes only those programs at the undergraduate level.

The college offers the following undergraduate degrees:  Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training, Bachelor of Science in Education, and Bachelor of Science in Public Health.  Some programs must be completed in conjunction with one (or more) other programs.   Educator preparation programs lead to state certification.  The B.S. in Athletic Training leads to eligibility for national certification through the Board of Certification, Inc. Additionally, the college offers a number of special course sequences which do not result in a degree but which result in added teaching endorsements. 

All students in a degree program in the college must meet the university general education requirements.  Additional information on these requirements can be found at the University General Education website.  Please contact an academic advisor for recommended choices for the major.

Certain majors/programs in the College of Education require specific related content course work.  For further information and details, see the requirements for particular majors/programs, visit the college website ( or contact an academic advisor.

Admission Requirements

Prospective students may apply for admission to the college by indicating their preference on the University Application for Admission.  Only students with “Assured” admission status are eligible for entrance into the college.


Deadlines for UNO undergraduate admission to the College of Education are:

•    August 1 for fall semester

•    December 1 for spring semester

•    June 1 for summer sessions

Admission to the College of Education does not guarantee admission to a specific program.  Certain programs, such as teacher preparation, speech-language pathology, and athletic training require a separate application and admission process.

Maximum/Minimum Credits

The bachelor’s degrees (BS in Athletic Training, BS in Education, and BS in Public Health) require a minimum of 120 credit hours; 30 of the last 36 hours must be taken in residence.  General education requirements apply to all programs.  The College of Education will accept toward a degree program those courses for which credit by examination is given (up to 30 hours) and recommended by the respective departments within the college of the university.  Up to eight credit hours of elective credit may be allowed for military service.


Candidates in educator preparation programs must also complete all requirements in the professional education sequence, and the requirements for their teaching certification and endorsements/emphasis area(s).  Students in non-educator preparation programs must complete all the requirements of the particular program.  Program specifications and expectations are noted in the departments’/school’s sections of this catalog or on the college website,

Residency Requirement

The bachelor’s degrees (BS in Athletic Training, BS in Education, and BS in Public Health) require a minimum of 120 credit hours; 30 of the last 36 hours must be taken in residence.

Transfer Credit Policy

Students may transfer into the college from other institutions by completing the application process described above and meeting the minimum cumulative grade point average GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale).


Transfer students with 12 or more credit hours in the Nebraska System (UNL, UNK, UNO) must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 for all attempted course work taken in the NU system.


Transfer students with credit hours from institutions other than the NU System must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 for all attempted course work.  Once 12 credits or more are completed in the NU system, the NU System GPA will be used for admission.


Official transcripts must be sent to the UNO Office of Admissions from each previous college or university attended whether credit was earned or not.  Hand-carried or student- submitted transcripts are not acceptable.  Only 64 credit hours can be transferred from an approved 2 year institution.


Only credits earned at accredited institutions will be accepted by the college.  In accordance with University policies the college will accept, for transfer, grades of “C- or better.  Credits earned at an institution which is part of the Nebraska Network of Community Colleges will be accepted by the college provided the grades are the equivalent of a “C-“ or better.  Credits from institutions seeking regional accreditation (but not yet accredited) may be accepted after 30 hours of work are satisfactorily completed at UNO.  Acceptance of any transfer credits by the college does not ensure application to a particular program or endorsement. 


Determination of applicability is the responsibility of the specific department/school.  Departments within the college and programs will determine applicability of transfer credits and of grades to meet specific requirements.  The University accepts C- grades, but programs may have a higher standard of applicability of transfer credits.


Individuals with degrees in education, transferring to the College of Education for teacher certification only, must successfully complete all program requirements prior to clinical practice.  (The program course work for any endorsement must total a minimum of 12 hours, six of which are in the major area.)

Special Note:  Transfer Admission from Colleges within UNO

Students transferring from another college on the UNO campus to the College of Education must meet the minimum cumulative GPA requirement of 2.5.  In addition, individuals interested in teacher preparation or speech-language pathology also must successfully complete the state required Praxis I CORE basic skills test in order to transfer into the college.


Unacceptable Credits

Professional education courses will be accepted only from institutions which are accredited for teacher education by the national, state and/or regional accrediting agency and those classes are good for a 10 year period.  Education courses will not be accepted from two-year institutions or other institutions unless the college has a specific articulation agreement with that institution


Quality of Work

The following quality of work standards apply to all individuals in the college.

•  Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher for admission to the College of Education.  Specific programs may have additional requirements.  Speech language pathology requires a minimum GPA of 3.0 to apply and the teacher preparation program requires a minimum GPA of 2.75 to apply.

•   A minimum grade of C- must be earned in all course work in the university General Education requirements.  Please note: Departments may require a minimum grade of C for program course work, certification, endorsements, concentrations, emphasis, and minors.  Check department/program requirements.

•   Individuals are expected to progress steadily toward the degree.  Majors will complete work for the degree according to the requirements of the catalog of the year in which they entered the college.  For interruptions in enrollment of more than one semester, individuals will be held to the requirements of the catalog of the year when they re-enter the college. 

NOTE: Please see departments’/school’s sections for information on programs, lists of courses, and additional academic performance requirements 

Completion of Incomplete Grade

Under certain circumstances, a student may be eligible for a "I" grade in a course.  Please see information in the general information section of the catalog:

Questions about the procedures to follow in the college should be directed to the respective department chair or school director. 

Students who do receive a grade of “I” in a course with a department prefix of EDUC, HPER, PE, RLS, SPED, or TED may not enroll in any course for which the “I” course is a prerequisite until the “I” grade has been removed and replaced with a passing grade. 

Repeating Courses

A College of Education student in an educator preparation program who receives a grade below “C“ or a “W” (Withdraw) in any undergraduate course with a department prefix of EDUC, HED, HPER, PE, RLS, SPED, or TED may re-enroll in that course for one additional time for a total of two attempts.

A College of Education student in a non-educator preparation program who receives a grade below “C-“ or a “W” (Withdraw) in any undergraduate course with a department prefix of EDUC, HED, HPER, PE, RLS, SPED, or TED may re-enroll in that course for one additional time for a total of two attempts.

A candidate who is removed from, withdraws from or receives a grade of "I" in field, clinical, practicum, or clinical practice experience, regardless of reason, must appeal to the Academic Review Committee (ARC) to be allowed to repeat the experience.  If the appeal is granted, the candidate must reapply for a placement.  A candidate may repeat such experiences only once

See also “Completion of Incomplete Grade” for additional information. 

Grade Appeal Policy

Individuals who believe that their grade in a particular course does not properly reflect their performance, or that the instructor acted in an arbitrary or capricious manner in determining the grade, should first contact the instructor to determine the rationale for the grade or if there was an error in reporting.  Consultation with the instructor should take place before taking any formal action in regard to a grade appeal.


After the instructor has provided the rationale for the grade in question and has indicated that no error in reporting was made, the individual may then wish to petition the department/school for reconsideration.  In such instances, the student should contact the department chair/school director to obtain information on the procedures to follow in requesting an appeal at the department/school level.


If an individual believes that the department/school action did not comply with the due process procedures or did not provide legitimate relief, he/she may petition the Student Affairs Committee of the College of Education.  This committee is the appellate body for grade appeals after a student has received a decision at the department/school level.  Students wishing to appeal a grade to the Student Affairs Committee should contact the Dean’s Office (Roskens Hall 211) to obtain the procedures to follow in filing an appeal.


If an individual’s cumulative GPA falls below the college (2.5) and/or Educator Preparation program requirements (2.75), he/she will be given one semester of probation to raise his/her grade point average.  If the minimum cumulative GPA requirement is not attained at the end of the probationary semester, the student will be disenrolled from the college and/or program.

Academic Amnesty

Individuals without a previous degree who are currently enrolled in the College of Education, and who have successfully completed one full year of coursework at UNO, may petition to have all course work taken during all or part of their first two years removed for the purpose of computing grade point average.  One full year of successful course work at UNO shall be defined as 24 consecutive hours with a grade point average of at least 2.5.


Deletion of previous course work shall be by entire semester(s), or year(s) as the case may be and the student must be at least four years removed from the semester or year to be deleted.  Individuals who apply under this rule may not be considered for degrees with honors at graduation.


The petition for academic amnesty is submitted in accordance with the following guidelines:

1.  After consultation with an academic advisor, the individual is responsible for initiating the petition.

2.  The petition should be addressed to the dean of the college.  It should include the individual’s name, identification number, and address, as well as identification of the specific semesters for which removal is being requested.

3.  The petition should be submitted to the Dean’s Office, Roskens Hall 211.

4.  The individual is advised in writing regarding the dean’s decision.  Copies of the decision are sent to the individual’s advisor and the registrar.

Note:  Application of the College of Education's amnesty policy for students in other colleges at UNO is possible under the following circumstances:


1.  The individual meets the cumulative hour and GPA requirements of the College of Education’s amnesty policy.

2.  The individual must have “assured” admission status.  (See general information section of the undergraduate catalog for description of the admission categories.)

3.  The application of the College of Education policy will raise the cumulative GPA to the required 2.5 overall average.

Academic Advising

Working in partnership with academic advisors is key to student success. Programs in the College of Education and the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation are carefully sequenced. To move through these programs in a timely manner, students must plan carefully and regularly consult their advisors. In addition to program requirements, advisors provide information about university requirements; discuss career goals, graduate or professional programs, or licensure requirements;   and refer to campus resources that improve students’ academic experiences. The Roskens Hall 204 advising office serves Pre-Elementary, Elementary, Pre-Secondary, Secondary, Pre-Special Education, Special Education, Library Science, and Speech Language Pathology majors. The HPER 207 advising office serves Athletic Training, Exercise Science, Public Health, and Recreation Administration majors.  Students are expected to meet with their advising partners every semester.

Application for Degree

All students graduating from UNO must file an “Application for Degree” with the Records and Registration Office and pay the required fee at the beginning of the semester in which they will graduate and not later than the date listed in the university calendar.  Failure to file for the degree by this deadline may postpone a student’s graduation date.  Applications are available online via Mavlink.  After applying for the degree, students should visit the UNO Bookstore as soon as possible to order the cap and gown and graduation announcements.  For more information click here: