Division of Continuing Studies

The Division of Continuing Studies (DCS) is committed to meeting the needs of adult learners and fostering success through the Bachelor of General Studies (BGS) Degree Program, which builds upon the University of Nebraska at Omaha’s strong academic foundations.  The Division of Continuing Studies is located in the College of Public Affairs and Community Service (CPACS) and has maintained an office presence at Offutt Air Force Base (AFB) since 1950.


The Bachelor of General Studies Degree is a flexible, individualized baccalaureate degree program designed especially for the adult learner.  It is available online, on-campus, or through a combination of online and on-campus classes.  Awarded to over 23,000 students since 1951, the BGS Degree is one of the nation’s oldest bachelor’s degrees for adult learners and is part of UNO’s longstanding, rich tradition of serving military and veteran students.


Admission Requirements

  • Students must be 21 years of age to be admitted to the Division of Continuing Studies. Exceptions to this rule include military students,* students enrolled in the Online BGS Degree, and students who wish to pursue an area of study not represented through a UNO bachelor’s degree.  For instance, UNO does not offer a bachelor’s degree in nonprofit administration, so a student younger than 21 would be permitted to pursue a BGS with an area of concentration in nonprofit administration. 
  • Students must submit a high school transcript.  Adults who have not completed high school must complete the high school equivalency examination (GED). 
  • ACT or SAT scores are not required.  
  • *Active duty military personnel may be admitted prior to reaching age 21; however, military students under age 21 must submit high school transcripts and either an ACT or SAT score. 
  • College/university-level courses completed with a “C-“or better are usually accepted from regionally accredited colleges and universities.  A maximum of 64 semester hours are accepted from two-year institutions such as community colleges. 

For more information or to talk with an academic advisor, contact the Division of Continuing Studies in the College of Public Affairs and Community Service (CPACS): CPACS 207 | 402.554.2370 | www.unomaha.edu/dcs